A Bit of Good News - Save, stroll and share
October 12, 2023 - Vol. 2, Issue 38
Lost and found
A baby left in a safe haven box in Ocala, Florida, was discovered by a firefighter — and then adopted by him.
Safe haven boxes are located in hospitals, police stations and fire stations. Parents in crisis who wish to safely surrender a newborn may place the child in the box and walk away, with no questions asked and no charges filed. Once the baby is in the box, an alarm is triggered. The newborn then receives medical care and child welfare is notified.
Last January, the Florida firefighter, who wishes to remain anonymous, heard the alarm at 2 a.m. and checked the box. Inside was a healthy baby girl wrapped in a pink blanket.
“She had a little bottle with her and she was just chilling,” he told the "Today" show. “I picked her up and held her. We locked eyes, and that was it. I’ve loved her ever since that moment.”
Although he and his wife had been trying to have a baby for more than a decade, he knew that this child was meant to be theirs. So he took her to the hospital and left a note expressing his interest in adopting her. Two days later, the child came home with them and in April, she became their daughter.
FMI: Click here.
Preteen helps rescue her entire family
A 12-year-old girl from Fort Worth, Texas saved her family last spring after they began suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
It turns out the family had accidentally left their car running in the garage, and carbon monoxide had started to fill the house. But no one realized anything was wrong until Jaziyah Parker's mother and 5-month-old brother began acting oddly: screaming, vomiting, then fainting. Jaziyah called 911 and met the first responders at the door when they arrived.
By the end of the rescue effort, five children and one adult (their mother) were taken to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. Five firefighters were also transported there with elevated carbon monoxide levels.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and poisonous gas that can be fatal after prolonged exposure. According to the CDC, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires each year. More than 100,000 end up in the emergency room. But there are ways to prevent it; the Consumer Product Safety Commission has a list of tips here.
The Fort Worth Fire Department told ABC News that if Jaziyah hadn't made that call when she did, her entire family wouldn't be alive today. The city council later honored her and the firefighters for their heroic efforts.
FMI: Click here.
A walk to remember
Dan Perritano, head coach of men's soccer at Penn State Behrend in Erie, Penn., embarks on an epic journey every summer with his daughter Emma, 24, who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. They choose a destination and begin to walk; he pushes the chair and she rides.
Perritano's wife, Jane Brady, is the family crew chief; she follows in a van and brings them to a hotel or college dorm to rest each night.
"It gives us memories to look back on. We do regular summer vacations, too, but this is maybe more meaningful. It's like a little adventure," Brady told Penn State.
This past summer, Dan and Emma walked hundreds of miles (about 30,000 steps a day!) from Massachusetts to Canada. Their goal was to have a great trip, to inspire conversations about inclusion and to raise money for the fitness program at Voices For Independence, a non-profit organization dedicated to serving children and adults with disabilities.
FMI: Click here.
Man's best friend
Public Service Announcement
* Turning off the air conditioner and opening the windows
* Lighting a fire in the fireplace once the temperature starts to drop
* Smelling the woodsmoke of other fires in the cold night air
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"All at once, it seemed, the leaves of cottonwood trees around the cabin turned golden and whispered to themselves, then curled into black flutes and floated to the ground in crispy, lacy heaps." --Kristin Hannah
MOMENT OF GRATITUDE
Thank you to Claudio Schwarz, Unsplash, the Child Welfare Information Gateway, the "Today" show, NBCDFW, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Consumer Product Safety Commission, "Good Morning America," Penn State, Facebook, Emma & Dan's Annual Journey, Voices for Independence, NBC5, Instagram, Allison Bennett, the USO, Vadym Lebedych and Deposit Photos for inspiration, art and story suggestions.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Read a positive/uplifting news story lately? Have an inspiring quote you want to share? Or do you just want to let me know about some of your favorite simple pleasures?
SUPPORT A BIT OF GOOD NEWS
Like this newsletter? Please forward it to your friends and encourage them to sign up.
A Bit of Good News is a reader-supported newsletter featuring positive news stories. Subscriptions are only $5/month, or $50/year. Everyone who purchases a subscription will be automatically entered into a monthly giveaway for books, gift certificates and other prizes.